Trying to boot from SATA

Is it possible to directly boot from SATA ?

I don’t seem to be able to do this from the uEnv.txt script.

The following is my attempt :- https://gist.github.com/AaronNGray/bde5dae82d13716ea2f19cafe75d8e26

I have also made mods in /etc/fstab in both the /boot image and on the SSD /

@sinovoip @frank-w @Jackzeng

I am trying this method and I run into the following:

root@bpi-iot-ros-ai:/home/pi# sudo chmod u+x make.sh

root@bpi-iot-ros-ai:/home/pi# ./make.sh

cp: cannot stat ‘/man’: No such file or directory

cp: cannot stat ‘/run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied

Yeah, I have just got back tothis after a long time. I am sorry I found it did not work in the end due to multiple issues. TheM3 cannot be booted from SATA directly, even just mapping usr and var over using fstab runs into problems. Theres issues with the M3 SATA being routed via the USB interface internally on the board which causes latency problems and the SATA interface is too slow. I am looking at this again. But might consider possibly getting a W3 board which I think solves this.

I should have added that I am running a BPI-M2u. Armbian-config alows you to choose installation options, including SATA and seems to work well.

Okay, right this is the M3 forum.

Oh, yea. Well at least you know it doesn’t work on M2u either :slight_smile: It looks lit is should, but I notice even after making the mods to fstab and uEvn.txt, there is a message at boot time reverting to mounting the filesystem on mmcblk0p2:

Kernel command line: board=bpi-m2u console=earlyprintk=sunxi-uart,0x01c28000 console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200n8 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rw rootwait bootmenutimeout=10 datadev=mmcblk0p2 service=linux bpiuser=720p mac_addr= enforcing=1 initcall_debug=0 loglevel=8 init=/init cma=256M panic=10 disp.screen0_output_type=3 disp.screen0_output_mode=5 disp.screen1_output_type=3 disp.screen1_output_mode=5 androidboot.serialno=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro

EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): mounted filesystem without journal. Opts: (null)

I will look for another way… thanks for your effort!