[SOLVED] Shutdown -P behavior on BPI-M1

Hi everyone!

I’ve noticed a different behavior of the shutdown -P command using different OS images.

I bought a BPI M1 to build a home NAS, using OpenMediaVault. I’ve downloaded 2.1 and 3.0 OMV images from simpleNAS. 3.0 is for BPI-M1+, but still worked with BPI-M1.

With version 2.1, ‘shutdown -P -h now’ (same with "shutdown -h now’) will shutdown the system, whithout turning off the power.

With version 3.0, ‘shutdown -P -h now’ will shutdown the system AND turn off the power (red LED turns off). Then the system can be powered on again with power button.

I prefer the latter behavior, so I can control power on/off with a single on board button. Any idea what can be the cause of these different beavior? OS-related or kernel-related? Some acpi tool package missing? (acpi_listen detect power button event correctly in both case)

Thanks! MIX

Further info, ‘uname -a’ from 2.1 returns this

Linux openmediavaultmem 3.4.104-bananian #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 6 18:25:40 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

Will check it on 3.0, too…

EDIT

‘uname -a’ from 3.0 returns this

Linux openmediavaultmem 4.9.12-sunxi #4 SMP Thu Feb 23 19:46:51 CET 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Note, again that OMV 3.0 image is for BananaPro, not BananaPi. Although everything seems to work (besides script.bin edits…), something can be screwed by using this image on a BananaPi, I suppose.

AFAIK proper shutdown is partially broken in old kernel due too dodgy PMU (axp chip) driver (kernel issue) … and it will remain broken since low level kernel support was abandoned long time ago. On mainline kernel 4.x this part was rewritten from scratch and (according to driver author) can’t just be ported to old kernel.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer @igorpec.

So it is a kernel problem.

I think the best I can do is:

• download latest version of bananian (16.04 at the moment) (hopefully with kernel is 4.x)
  • install OMV over it manually

Will update soon

Rather go with Armbian: https://www.armbian.com/banana-pi/

Hi @igorpec,

Thanks for the hint. I was already lurking the web about it; I’ve noticed that OMV 3.0 image I was using was actually based on armbian, so I’ve started from scratch with a clean armbian for banana pi (not banana pro like the original image) installation, and succeded!

As a reference, here is my setup steps to have OMV 3.0 on Banana Pi M1:

• download armbian Mainline for Banana Pi from here (Mainline version has the updated kernel with working acpi (power off) management)
  • setup system, update/upgrade
  • tweak gpio/leds via device tree: all needed info from this thread (for pcduino3, but it’s easy to edit commands for banana pi; also explain edit for uart control, but it is easy to work on leds/gpios) and device tree reference
  • follow this guide to install OMV 3.0
  • follow this guide to install OMV extras plugin