SATA speed and mainline kernel hardware support status

I have a few questions for you lucky M2 Ultra owners:

• Has anyone benchmarked the SATA transfer rates on the M2 Ultra? Is it any faster than the SATA on the original BPi?

• Is it possible to use all the hardware in the M2 ultra using a recent mainline kernel?

• Does anyone know where I can buy one in the UK?

Thanks!

SATA-Speed looks like the same as BPi-M1. Some tests from me.

2 Likes

Lucky? Better read here through article and comments: http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/11/16/banana-pi-m2-ultra-allwinner-r40-development-board-with-sata-gbe-sells-for-46/

I searched a lot before I bought this board (M2U), but I didn’t get anything useful. I think maybe I can try it myself. With Ubuntu minimal image and Micron Crucial MX100 SSD, I tried a lot of times with different test methods and different tweaks(without overclock). The final result is the average seq write and seq read via SATA on this board is 35MB/s and 130MB/s.

Maybe this can help you

SATA Speeds for m2u looks like this:

/dev/sda: Timing cached reads: 1038 MB in 2.00 seconds = 519.16 MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads: 344 MB in 3.00 seconds = 114.58 MB/sec

In real world writing speed is about 30MB/s even if using just dd Performed the following test (3.10.65-BPI-M2U-Kernel) for 8GB: “dd if=/dev/zero of=/mountpoint/sda bs=4M count=2048” speed is 33MB/s