Questions about BPi M2M/Zero

Hello.

Before I purchase a BPI have following questions. Could anyone help answer please?

1. Is the USB Gadget mode supported on OTG port? I am interested in the BPI emulating USB storage, USB/Ethernet, USB/serial, and USB/HID (keyboard).
  2. What version of Linux kernel is used? Is it 4.1x?
  3. Can Wifi and Bluetooth/BLE supported concurrently?
  4. Does the board have eMMC? Some place I remember seeing a line, but can’t remember. If yes, what is the reference to buy BPI Zero/M2 with an eMMC?
  5. Is there any reference that can help gain a sense of power use without anything else, then including Wifi, then no Wifi but including Bluetooth? 6. The Wiki entry for the board mentions of 128KB of onboard flash. Is part or all of this flash available for user applications? If yes, how is it accessible under the OS/Linux?
  1. USB otg supports USB Gadget functions
  2. Based on kernel 3.4.113
  3. Support Wifi and BT
  4. BPI Zero doesn’t have emmc

more you could see here: http://wiki.banana-pi.org/M2Z_Image_Map

1 Like

armbian support 4.x kernel for BPI-M2+ ,BPI-M2 zero.

1 Like

Thank you both @Jackzeng and @sinovoip for your responses, they helped me make the decision.

Related to #5 of my list of questions: I read in a couple of places that BPiZ has heat issues. Does a heat sink help? Also, is there any way in software or configuration to reduce the clock speed that might help reduce the heat and power consumption? Is there any way in software or configuration to reduce the number of CPUs, and will it help reduce the power/heat? If yes for any of these two questions, can this be dynamically done when booted under Linux, or is it statically/at boot time only? Any details will help.

Hi, I’ve tried every configuration available but USB Gadget Mass Storage support doesn’t work; I tried kernel 3.x to kernel 5.x; is there a working and configurable version of armbian? Thank you

did you check armbian forums? They provide software from the moment you apply power.

yes I tried all the images I managed to download, some links are broken; but no way. With other raspbian images it doesn’t even boot.

now I’m trying to recompile the kernel by creating a new disk image, but the first test failed it doesn’t boot using the m2 plus configuration; I am now recompiling the zeropi version then I will try if it works

I just need to emulate a usb disk and enable serial, with wifi. but I couldn’t do it with the images available for download

it works with the bananapim2zero configuration but after several attempts I gave up on using it as it doesn’t work

the board is not identified as a usb memory disk

surely the OTG will be supported but if there is no valid image and/or configuration for its use I think it is useless as a board in my case

thank you

I am almost sure its supported, you just need to find out how to configure it. As by default its 100% not configured this way.

yes it is OTG supported and it works but it was very complicated.

I created an image by recompiling the kernel in “USB Gadget Only” mode; the only problem is that if the filesystem is enabled for writing it does not synchronize between the host PC and the Banana Pi; you always have to unmount and remount the filesystem.

To work correctly I had to put it in read only for the host and access it via samba service in this way the files are synchronized correctly; used directly in writing as USB does not work and I don’t understand why

If the files between Host and Banana Pi are not synchronized, I cannot use it

I also don’t know without digging … you can try and support developers and you might get lucky fast. here, follow at least green colour.