OpenvSwitch in BPI-R2 kernel 4.14.48-bpi-r2-main

I am trying to install openvswitch in the BPI-R2(image ubuntu-18.04-bpi-r2-preview with kernel 4.14.48-bpi-r2-main) but I get some errors. When I execute ./configure --with-linux=/lib/modules/4.14.48-bpi-r2-main/build, shows an error that says build does not exist. I execute ln -s /root/openvswitch-2.10.1/datapath/linux/openvswitch.ko /lib/modules/4.14.48-bpi-r2-main and then depmod -a and it returns too many levels of symbolic links.

Does anyone know why this happens?

I guess you need kernelsources for your current kernel

To get it you can checkout 1e4a88f6cab247b73acf427493567bbbafcd3ad3 (merge of 4.14.48) or 4bfb0a99da80be0a1ee711e435c6577893fae20a (merge of hdmi) from my github-repo

https:// github.com/frank-w/BPI-R2-4.14/commits/4.14-main?after=062360465516e587a7b438dc2c003c7f1988f003+104&author=frank-w

Please post link to configure-script, so we can look what this does when printing this error

root@bpi-r2:/boot/bananapi/bpi-r2/linux# ls -l /lib/modules/$(uname -r)                                                                                            
insgesamt 184                                                                                                                                                      
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    36 Okt 24 11:39 build -> /media/data_ext/bpi-r2-kernel/github                                                                           
...                                                                                              
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    36 Okt 24 11:39 source -> /media/data_ext/bpi-r2-kernel/github

these 2 links defaulting to my directory where i have built the kernel. download source for your kernelversion, unpack it (maybe to /usr/src/kernel_4.14.48) and change symlink of build and source to this directory…maybe you have to rebuild kernel

HTH Frank

frank-w

I had the same issue and I did the above operation. However, OvS is not supported for the Bnana Pi kernel and OvS cannot be started.

please tell me. Do you have a track record of OvS operation on BPI-R2? Also, do you know how to change the kernel of BPI-R2 to something other than Banana Pi?

Please.

In 5.4 you can install the deb package…it should not have the wrong links

thank you for your answer. Do you have an OS image that includes kernel 5.4? Is there no choice but to get the kernel code from git?

no, the images contain older kernels, but you can install kernels from github releases in it (maybe need to change uenv.txt after install)

Thank you very much. Understood. By the way, if I have 5.4 kernel, can I see if Openvswitch works? Do you have a track record?

i have not tested it as i don’t use it :wink: just try to add needed config options…but you will have more luck using last LTS kernel instead of 4.14/4.19 or older