How to setup a Wifi AP

Hi,

I tried to configure a Wifi AP (not a bridge) on my BPi-M2+ without success.

I’m using the Armbian-5.20 distribution for BPi

My hostapd configuration file is: interface=wlan0 driver=nl80211 ssid=MyNetwork hw_mode=g channel=1

but I didn’t succeed to make it working. The dmesg output is:

[29629.836608] dhd_open: Enter eeb03000 [29629.856083] dhd_set_scb_probe: max_scb_probe setting failed [29629.856103] dhd_open: Exit ret=0 [29629.859160] netdev_ifidx(4), chan_type(1) target channel(1) [29629.861906] Disconnect STA : ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff scb_val.val 3 [29629.869587] CFG80211-ERROR) check_dev_role_integrity : device role select failed

Please, can you help me?

Do you load module with parameter op_mode=2 ?

Thank you Igor and sorry for my late answer.

It works fine with the op_mode set to 2

Thank you BR

1 Like

how to set? use AP6212?

Would you be kind enough and describe step by step what needs to be done to get AP going BPI0 -M2? Is there way to be client to one Wifi, and AP in same time like:

RPi zero W can ?

Thank you RZ

Forgot to mention, I am using: ARMBIAN 5.41 user-built Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 3.4.113-sun8i on RPI-M2-Zero

This is old post but I need to know if it is possible to setup WiFi Access Point on BANANA Pi M2 Zero? I am just worry about any hardware issues or missing functionalities (some WiFi chips can only act as WiFi Client but not AP). I am familiar with Raspberry Pi Zero W but that board is recently difficult to buy. I plan to switch to BANANA equivalent board and use the same functionality.

the same way

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/5681-create-an-ap-on-orange-pi-zero-h2/

Hi Igor, thank you for the link. I just received the boards, so I will be able to experiment with them.

Regards, Piotr

Hi Igor,

I am very satisfied that there is Armbian for Banana-Pi M2 Zero. After the first start it connects to some predefined WiFi network, and user can login via ssh.

Changing WiFi configuration to Access Point for this board is little tricky. Unfortunatelly I was not able to use armbian-config that requires network which is provided through configured wlan0 interface. That interface was also marked as unmanaged, so there was problems with nmcli. Fortunatelly there is serial console, so it is possible to experiment without the network. Finally, I used nmcli, dsnmasq and hostapd to have working WiFi access point.

Regards,

Piotr Romaniuk

Hi Romaniuk,

First of all, i am a newbi with Bpi and Embedded Linux on the whole I am currently working on a projet on Bpi Zero M2 and i need to set up an AP. I have followed some tutorials on Internet but without success to set up an AP. Could you explain me how did you do please ? I am on Armbian Lunar CLI, took from the Armbian Website.

Thanks a lot in advance for your response !