How to enable BPI-M3 GPU on ubuntu 15.10

1,How to enable GPU on ubuntu 15.10

download link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4PAo2nW2KfnVFBYNzB2N1ZKU00/view?usp=sharing

step 1: dpkg -i linux-bananapi-bpi-m3-kernel3_1.2.6_armhf.deb

step 2: bpi-bootsel /usr/lib/u-boot/bananapi/bpi-m3/BPI_M3_720P.img.gz or bpi-bootsel /usr/lib/u-boot/bananapi/bpi-m3/BPI_M3_1080P.img.gz

step 3: dpkg -i xserver-xorg-video-gpu-bananapi-bpi-m3_1.0-15.10_armhf.deb

step 4: reboot

2,how to check gpu running

root@bananapi:~# ps ax | grep X                                                 
  629 tty7     Ss+    0:09 /usr/local/XSGX/bin/X -verbose -config /usr/local/XSG
X/etc/xorg.conf :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 
-novtswitch                                                                     
 1449 ttyS0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto X                                  
root@bananapi:~#

3,how to disable/enable gpu

root@bananapi:/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d# cat 55-xserver-command-pvr.conf
[Seat:*]                                                                        
# Dump core                                                                     
#xserver-command=X -core                                                        
#xserver-command=/usr/local/XSGX/bin/X -verbose -config /usr/local/XSGX/etc/xorg.
conf                                                                            
root@bananapi:/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d#

Hello. Thank you for improvements for Ubuntu Mate!

But currently i’ve stunned with your instruction:

Currently there is only “xserver-xorg-video-gpu-bananapi-bpi-m3_1.0-15.10_armhf.deb” file from link “https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4PAo2nW2KfnVFBYNzB2N1ZKU00/view?usp=sharing8”, but your step by step instruction references to “linux-bananapi-bpi-m3-kernel3_1.2.6_armhf.deb” file. Where I can find it?

• I’ve processed instruction Without the first step (“dpkg -i linux-bananapi-bpi-m3-kernel3_1.2.6_armhf.deb”), I saw in terminal output that some update was copied to “/dev/mmcblk1” (as far as i know, this is emmc), but i have ubuntu on ssd card instead of emmc. and after restarting rpi, it loaded normally, command “ps ax | grep X” is equals that your output (there is “XSGX” in terminal), but what output should be without this update? how i exactly knows that update is installed? Please describe this in greater details.

• Android from emmc currently is not loaded anymore, and there is no PhoenixSuite available by your link ( How to burn android image to BPI-M3 EMMC ) to gdrive ( https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4PAo2nW2KfnOTNfZWdFSjBoSFk ) anymore. Please, fix the links.

we have update all file to github:

thank you for working link!

after update ubuntu starts normally. firstly i’ve test youtube video (in firefox and chromium) but video is not working. can somebody test video playing in youtube? can anybody confirm the issue?

Helo,

can someone tell me how I can select differenet Video-Modes (for example 1280x1024 or 1024x768) for use with standart TFTs.

best regards

Frank

As of today: linux-bananapi-bpi-m3-kernel3_1.2.6_armhf.deb is not there, neither is it working with 1.2.8: just a black screen and no switching to a console str+alt F1 possible. Evil trap!

Update: Got it running in 720p ONLY, thanks to TKaiser. I can see it using new XSGX server: (BTW starting from fresh dd’ed image and the patches, there is no /usr/lib/u-boot/bananapi/bpi-m3/BPI_M3_1080P.img.gz !!)

BUT: glxgears renders ~160 fp5s, just as without this patch and enabled XSGX server: glmark2 from ubuntu repository yields glmark of 0: This is not what I have seen in the berryboot-GPU image with FHD, there glmark2 yielded 249.

Is this another HOAX from our rotten banana vendor? Sarcasm spoiler: You really have the potential to make me an Apple user :banana:2 :green_apple: Took me another 2-3 hours to find this out. Please send me some free fresh bananas, or pay my hours. The customer is not your TEST GUY!!

Please refer to new GPU image for more success.

Their instructions are wrong/crippled (whatever, at least broken as usual). Try to follow these instructions instead: BPI-M3 new image:bpi-m3 Ubuntu 16.04 Beta Mate

You might then get latest u-boot/kernel fixes and also GPU acceleration (games, maybe some OpenGL support in Chromium). But video HW accleration is something different. Since SinoVoip doesn’t join community development efforts (they only take but never give back) you have to wait just another few months unless a community member decides to add support for M3’s A83T SoC here https://github.com/linux-sunxi/libvdpau-sunxi