How to burn android image to BPI-M3 EMMC

Currently i am using 50pcs of Raspberry Pi on my system and i am very satisfied on their durability and stability Since it’s my first time to use banana pi, (M3) i am so much disappointed on the results of my test :

• always hangup
  • always corrupt my sd card class10 OS (raspbian, debian, ubuntu)
  • network always disconnected

My banana Pi m3 has it own heat sink at high speed blower fan i buy it 69USD + 15USD for shipping + custom tax and now it become useless I am not sure if the OS came from your website are not yet stable or the possible the hardware defective I hope that you fix the problem before you start selling on the market.

You shouldn’t confuse the original Banana Pi with the incompatible boards SinoVoip produced later.

They use the brand ‘Banana’ now to sell nearly everything, some stuff with the same form factor (being incompatible due to different SoCs and a vendor that has clearly not the slightest idea about software and support) some totally different and not even running Linux/Android at all. Please compare with: http://linux-sunxi.org/LeMaker_Banana_Pi#See_also

1 Like

The images are already corrupted. They provide only broken download links. And they started just yesterday to fix important stuff: https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-M3-bsp/commits/master :joy: therefore even if one of the images would not be corrupted important stuff won’t work.

The good news: I built successfully their so called “BSP” from github half an hour ago. It should be easy to combine this with a known working rootfs so when my BPi-M3 arrives I will combine it with a headless Armbian image and give that a try.

1 Like

Trying with a more recent version and hardfloat doesn’t work: https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-M3-bsp/issues/1 :joy:

1 Like

I try to flash an android os using phoenixSuite and it works, but i need to use Raspbian or Debian for my system requirements. SinoVoip must need to provide with full working OS that works on Banana Pi M3 that i buy from them.

Please read what I’ve written to you 5 days ago: Banana pi m3 OS Server Download speed Problem

Android? Because it’s the only “OS” that will run flawlessly from the beginning…

And if you look into their github repo and see what has been fixed yesterday then you know that now even this is true. :joy:

It took several months until the OS images for the wrongly labeled “Banana Pi” M2 worked somewhat. But there the good news is: For the M2 with its A31s SoC there existed already good mainline kernel support so the community did the job. Now you can use the M2 without having to rely on weird software stuff from SinoVoip (rehashed stuff from Allwinner).

With the M3’a A83T it’s different. Mainline kernel support just started. And SinoVoip still has no clue how to become an open source community member. If they would donate 4-5 M3 to the linux-sunxi community things would improve a lot faster. But they prefer to sell hardware that can be either used with Android (using the software supplied by Allwinner) or as a paperweight (using the software supplied by SinoVoip).

I doubt we will see an M4. Until then they eventually managed to ruin the ‘Banana’ brand completely.

1 Like

Yes you are right, i am so much disappointed to Sinovoip because it lack of support. i will try that m2. Thanks

Yes, it’s really sad that they don’t even get the idea why both software and support matter

Be careful. Its SoC has been discontinued already (even before the product started to sell), support situation is as worse as with the M3, depending on your needs other boards provide a better performance/price ratio… and on top of that there exists a nice anecdote since a few days regarding the origin of both M1 and M2 :blush:

I would try to define your goals and ask for a recommendation here: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/forum/10-free/ (community project)

Install Android 5.1 on EMMC is everything ok ? You do not risk anything ? If something goes wrong as you can go back? Other systems can then start from the Micro SD with Android on board EMMC ?

Hi,

Can someone give me step for step tutorial how I can load the Android image to the emmc. I tried the tutorial here but with no success. So I used PheonixSuit. Pressed the Uboot button (and hold it). Connected the USB Cable to my computer ( was connected to the OTG port of BPI). The red led turned on. But nothing happend. PhoenixSuit can’t find any device. So what made I wrong? Thank you for your help.

Hi

Please give us exact step of install Android 5.1.1 to M3 EMMC. YouTube movie of the installation would be great.

Thanks

I’ve tried an old proven way using PhoenixCard 3.09 with an intermediate SDCard (just google by “PhonixCard” to get a lot of tutorials) and image flashed just fine.

It does not work on Mint 17.3 :frowning:

uname -a
Linux gyarfastoth-Lenovo-G580 3.19.0-32-generic #37~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Oct 22 09:41:40 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

./LiveSuit.run 
You are running on Linux
LiveSuit/
LiveSuit/LiveSuit.sh
LiveSuit/bin/
LiveSuit/bin/regdemo.lua
LiveSuit/bin/LiveProc.Plg
LiveSuit/bin/LiveSuit.lan
LiveSuit/bin/luadec.dll
LiveSuit/bin/imgdec_fun.lua
LiveSuit/bin/LiveSuit
LiveSuit/bin/libQtGui.so.4
LiveSuit/bin/regdecode.lua
LiveSuit/bin/ini_fun.lua
LiveSuit/bin/libQtCore.so.4
LiveSuit/bin/common_fun.lua
LiveSuit/bin/plgvector.dll
LiveSuit/bin/regbasefun.lua
LiveSuit/bin/LangPlg.dll
LiveSuit/bin/luaBase.dll
LiveSuit/bin/luaeFex.dll
awdev-0.5-1dkms.noarch.rpm
awdev-dkms_0.5_all.deb
Linux distribution Linux does not supported!!!

You can change /etc/issue to: Ubuntu Mint 17.3 Rosa \n \l After using the tool, better change it back to original: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa \n \l

Yes! I have done this successfully last night although it took me forever.

My BPI-M3 had Android in eMMC and working (somewhat), and I was able to boot using a microsd with Ubuntu and then reflash eMMC with Ubuntu image (I didn’t dd from my microsd but used a separate image using USB drive).

Since then, BPI-M3 is running Ubuntu 15.10 (beta of course) using its eMMC. I didn’t measure time, but it seems faster.

Now, I need its GPU driver, the whole source for M3 linux (whatever they want to call it since it’s not going to be bananian according to bananian), and somewhat stability proved by SINOVOIP.

NICE!

Help me a sec. So you booted Linux on the MicroSD card and then used dd to write Linux image from USB to eMMC?

If that is the case I should also try it.

This seems to be the only way it works currently. I found the description by searching for a review: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/474-quick-review-of-banana-pi-m3/

But this same review and the many unanswered questions here, missing documentation and plenty of OS images all being incomplete now let me believe it’s a bad idea to get an M3 now. Maybe this might change within the next months but since there also exist hardware issues (sudden power-offs, slow SATA) these can’t be fixed through software updates or documentation fixes.

http://cafe.naver.com/bananapi/307

Try this instruction…

What I did was

1. create boot microsdcard of linux
  2. also copy linux image to a uab drive
  3. boot M3 using the created microsd
  4. unmount a couple of partitions as shown in the instructio n
  5. dd to write the linux image in the usb to eMMC on M3
  6. now you can boot from eMMC

http://cafe.naver.com/bananapi/307

Try this instruction…

What I did was

create boot microsdcard of linuxalso copy linux image to a uab driveboot M3 using the created microsdunmount a couple of partitions as shown in the instructio ndd to write the linux image in the usb to eMMC on M3now you can boot from eMMC

When Android is installed, is there a way to wipe the eMMC ? I’ve put Linux image SD card but still Android boots.