[BPI-R2] Hdmi in uboot and linux

yes is installed.

Is there a config entry, that forces xserver to load the software driver.

You can look if there is a /etc/X11/xorg.conf? In my test all config was done on the fly and this file does not exist

Which os do you use? Was xorg installed or have you done this?

I use debian stretch. How did you install the xserver with task desktop or individual packages.

startx brings me only a black screen with mouse pointer and can only kill by kill -9

xinit even a xterm that I can end with the input of exit

I installed lxde, it’s a full and light desktop environment

how do you fixed your xserver-issue?

yes lxde was a good tip.

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled task-lxde.

then it worked immediately with almost all resolutions

Can you create a post here: Searching testing people for hdmi + wifi in Kernel 4.16

With the following Informations:

• kernel used (4.14/4.16)
  • operation system (debian/ubuntu with version)
  • resolutions and frequency (vsync)
  • adapters used (dvi/vga) if any
  • tested function (fbconsole/xorg)
  • problems

i merged hdmi-branch in 4.14-main and hdmi+wlan to 4.16-main and uploaded new precompiled kernels (4.14main+4.16-main)

1 Like

@DeadMeat have you tried porting hdmi+fbdev to 4.18?

@ryder.lee any progress on getting other (800x600,1024x768) resolutions to work?

We don’t have plan to support these resolutions now. I think the current options are enough for user.

Just some food for thought… It wasn’t until recently that I picked up a new monitor that would support better then 1024x768 resolutions. These SBC’s and small cheep monitors go hand in hand.

I also cannot use my test-monitor (15" 1024x768+800x600) at the moment with r2.

Hdmi is needed for users not using a debug-uart

Sorry for the late response. We will add it in todo list as uboot upstream and rewrite pinctrl driver are both my first priority now

@ryder.lee Does this mean mt7623 will get supported by newer uboot-versions?

just to inform you:

i got signed-off by CK Hu for fbdev-patch, but cannot send patch to mailing list because mail from all my email-adresses (gmx.de, web.de, fw-web.de, gmail.com) got blocked by a blacklist which is down by near 6 years: https://www.dnsbl.info/dnsbl-njabl-org.php

rebased tree to add info CK Hu give me

Problem regarding to HDMI… so I think, this is a correct place to write about it here :slight_smile:

When we boot BPI-R2 without connected monitor and plug them to hdmi port, after system up, monitor is not detected and we see only the black screen or other info from monitor.

It is possible to wake-up hdmi to work as should if we start OS without connected monitor?

Kernel: 4.19.16-bpi-r2-main

Messages from dmesg on connecting monitor:

[Feb19 11:22] [drm:drm_helper_hpd_irq_event] [CONNECTOR:29:HDMI-A-1] status updated from disconnected to connected
[  +0.000088] [drm:drm_sysfs_hotplug_event] generating hotplug event
[  +2.527553] [drm:drm_helper_hpd_irq_event] [CONNECTOR:29:HDMI-A-1] status updated from connected to disconnected
[  +0.000087] [drm:drm_sysfs_hotplug_event] generating hotplug event
[  +3.086113] [drm:drm_helper_hpd_irq_event] [CONNECTOR:29:HDMI-A-1] status updated from disconnected to connected
[  +0.000088] [drm:drm_sysfs_hotplug_event] generating hotplug event
[  +2.521216] [drm:drm_helper_hpd_irq_event] [CONNECTOR:29:HDMI-A-1] status updated from connected to disconnected
[  +0.000087] [drm:drm_sysfs_hotplug_event] generating hotplug event
[  +3.140467] [drm:drm_helper_hpd_irq_event] [CONNECTOR:29:HDMI-A-1] status updated from disconnected to connected
[  +0.000089] [drm:drm_sysfs_hotplug_event] generating hotplug event

I found, that I can add video=HDMI-A-1:D to bootline (force the HDMI output to be enabled (D) and to be used for video output) but not helps :frowning:

After a deeper investigation I have the expected result. The solution is to add video boot option in this format video=HDMI-A-1:1280x1024-32@60D [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_mode_setting]

does this work for you? i have also defined (slightly differnt) video-bootoption, but get DRM_IOCTL_MODE_DIRTYFB messages if i bootup without monitor connected

tried it, and it works partially…i see xserver, but screen is compressed in width (left and right there are 4cm missing of 34cm total width), i don’t have this effect if i bootup in the same mode

@frank-w yes, this boot option works for me:

but I test it only in text mode. I’m not tested it with xserver. I’m not need DE on my BPI-R2 :wink: I tested this option with two monitors: 1st Dell 27" and 2nd probably 23 or 24". I booted BPI without connected monitor and after boot finish connect one by one of them. On both, the output was correct.

Tomorrow morning I will check if DRM_IOCTL_MODE_DIRTYFB messages appear on my BPI-R2 and back with the answer.

framebuffer is also strange width on my tft…same resolution as you

I have drm.debug=0x7 activated…

I too :slight_smile: Did you have 4:3 monitor or wide? Maybe you should use other resolution for your monitor?