Did anybody made the M3 work with hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix?

Hello !

I’ve been trying for the past few days to make the Banana Pi M3 work with hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix LED Library. But it doesn’t.

I’ve tried with Jessie:

Linux bpi-iot-ros-ai 3.4.39-BPI-M3-Kernel
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

then I’ve tried with:

Linux bananapim3 4.19.38-sunxi
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
ID=debian

No luck. The project works perfectly fine with Raspberry Pi Zero. I’ve followed the troubleshooting guide from the library.

Is there somebody who made it work ?

I really need it for a project and I can’t just fix this damned board. I will try and get other boards.

More info: https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix/issues/834

@tkaiser - Maybe you, my good sir, have any idea ! I’ve read your reviews and digging more into M3, I am starting to believe that I made a terrible mistake when buying two Banana Pi’s M3.

Can you show how you wired the panel to the M3?

• Please make a pin to pin table comparing M3 to RPI zero and check if the pins are the same.
  • You should check if all the pins are available to be used.
  • You may need some specific kernel configuration to be enabled.

If i understood correctly you have also a Raspberry Pi Zero where you made it work and now you want it with M3?

Yes, that is correct !

20190618-160713-1.jpg

I am positive that I’ve used the same pins on the M3 as well as the Pi Zero. I have checked with the multi-meter and I have also consulted both of the device’s documentation and pin layouts.

I don’t know how to do that.

I have no idea what that means.

I can see the Image where you wired the cables but i think only you know which one is which, so i can’t help just looking at the picture, sorry.

Regarding the availability of the pins, i just mean that for example, pin12 may be in use by UART and you need this pin as output or input, the same for TWI and so on. Or you need I2C, this must be set on DTB and kernel config.

It is a nice project, if you go with mainline you should ask on Armbian forum also, maybe someone have this working with similar AW platform and can be used as a reference.