BPI-R2 new image : ubuntu 16.04 V1.2.1 BT and WIFI AP mode are working fine 2017-11-27

Hi Frank i have now recived my new usb/serial adapter and now it is working perfect and i am booting from emmc i have a few questions you might be able to answer
is it possibel to remove some files to criate more space i am now on 90% i have a ssd conected to sata or is there things that can be moved
is it possibel to use vlan and can i use webmin to create them to separate the 4 ports on eth0

i have ap up and running i have installed dhcp bind9 webadmin setup bridge on etho and ap0 with firewall and dhcp server webmin and has a funcioning firewall/router/gateway but i would like to setup vpn client on 1 vlan to make all trafic go truvpn but only on that vlan port

hope it is understandable

kenn

you can remove kernel-modules except for your actual kernel (uname -r)ā€¦else look in /var/log for large logfiles, but instead of removing them make

echo -n "">logfile

to preserve permissions.

port-separation does not work with Kernel 4.4 which is packed with official imagesā€¦you can use my 4.14 for this, but some things like hdmi and BT does not work currently in 4.14.

back to topic: can anybody test if with this image the AP can be started (and be visible) after killing histapd the first time?

step-by-step:

• clean boot
  • running wmt-tools and echo ā€œAā€, so you get the ap0-device
  • run hostapd (with -dd configfile), you should see the AP on your client-device
  • now kill hostapd with strg+C (hostapd will clean up not only die)
  • start hostapd again, in my tests hostapd itself reports no error, but AP is not visible

i have currently found no way to restart hostapd without rebooting

@garywang @BitMaster can you confirm that behaviour (with 4.4.70)?

issue for 4.14: https://github.com/frank-w/BPI-R2-4.14/issues/4

Iā€™ve tested it at the end of last year with your 4.14 kernel and I can confirm the AP mode is broken after killing hostapd, but Iā€™m not completely sure if a reboot was absolutely necessary or ā€œecho 0, echo Aā€ could fix it as well for me.

1 Like

have you tried with 4.4 too? i assume that this Problem is also in 4.4ā€¦but currently not known

can you take a look into it and try to fix that?

Nice work!

I tried to build a kernel with SATA enabled. So i can store the root partition on my harddrive. The kernel boots fine but wifi isnā€™t working. do you have the kernelconfig from your build so i can add SATA or give me a directions in how to get it working?

Thanks in advance!

please give us more infos, which kernel do you build? what are your steps to enable wifi (wmt-tools)?

Hi Frank,

Basically what i did was:

Installed the image from this topic on the internal EMMC storage.

Copyied the contents from /dev/mmcblk0p2 to /dev/sda1 (harddisk connected through a onboard SATA port)

Downloaded and extracted https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-R2-bsp/archive/master.zip on an Ubuntu 16.04 VM

./build.sh option 4

Changed the following to include (*) Device drivers > Serial ATA and Parallel ATA divers (libata) Device drivers > Serial ATA and Parallel ATA divers (libata) > AHCI SATA support save config to .config

./build.sh option 1

Placed the uImage in bananapi/bpi-r2/linux on my BPI-BOOT partition on SD card (not internal EMMC). And after that i rebooted my BPI so it can boot with the image from my SD card and mount /dev/sda1 as rootfs.

This is my kern.log after boot kern.log (67,9 KB)

then you should have the same options like the official kernel including sataā€¦

for wifi you must run the wmt-toolsā€¦

Hi Jo_Kro

Please check device /dev/wmtWifi is available, if yes, please execute command " echo 1 > /dev/wmtWifi" to enable wifi STA.

Is it ok, that I encounter ā€œno space left on deviceā€ while trying to get this image ( 2017-09-04 MD5:8c554bfe1f2e84c74fc60aef298282fa) to emmc via ā€œbpi-copy .img.zipā€ or dd ? Why the image is so big?

This image is larger than emmcā€¦itā€™s been posted in another thread

Workaround: https://softwarebakery.com/shrinking-images-on-linux

just for reference: BPI-R2 new Imageļ¼šUbuntu-16.04-mate-desktop-bpi-r2-sd-emmc-v1.2.0.img.zip 2017-09-04 (not the same image, but steps to shrink the image are the same)

another way would be:

• dd only the first 1MB to mmcblk1
  • run fdisk to check partition table (make sure its not leaving boundaries) and resync part-table
  • create filesystem on both partitions (p1=vfat,p2=ext4)
  • copy content (files) from boot and root to emmc-partitions

Thank you so much, Frank. At the moment bpiR2 is a useless brick without your helpful advices. I wonder why one would upload image with substrings BPIR2 and EMMC that does not fit into R2ā€™s emmc without hacks to the official downloads page. Gary or whoever, please donā€™t do that in the future.

they simply not check the sizeā€¦i assume that they use a 8GB SD which is a bit smaller than emmc and make a dd from it

youā€™ll find instructions in my wiki how to install a Operating System from scratch

• burn preloader+uboot
  • create partitions
  • install debootstrap of debian (same way should work for ubuntu)
  • install kernel you want (4.4 with hdmi, 4.14 with port-separation), uploaded 4.4.118 and 4.14.22 today :wink:

Shrinked image was written to emmc, but nothing is being loaded from emmc. Only RGB leds are glowing after restart. Though this shrinked image is working from SD. :thinking:

have you make ā€œpconf 0x48ā€ in uboot and burned preloader to boot0-block?

http://www.fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:storage#install_os_on_emmc

have you make ā€œpconf 0x48ā€ in uboot

no. Is uboot included in ubuntu image? How do I start its console? Can it be made from terminal with mmc-tools you mentioned in http://www.fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:storage#install_os_on_emmc ?

Uboot is included and started before kernel is loaded. You can access it with debug-uart.

mmc-tools iā€™ve mentioned are imho only for reading, did not find out how to write pconf yet

mmc-utils shows that Boot config bytes is 0x0. Have no uart adapter to attach via uart, bad luck. No other way to set Boot configuration bytes?

I did it with mmc-utils:

mmc bootpart enable 1 1 /dev/mmcblk1

found this solution at http://linux-mmc.vger.kernel.narkive.com/iqgrQyiF/mmc-utils-boot-enable-conflict-with-mmc-blk-part-switch

Now ubuntu image is being loaded from emmc. Thank you

2 Likes