[BPI-R2 new image] debian 10 buster image with Kernel 4.19.62

soldered power-button causes bootloop if poweroff-patches are in, acpi is installed and mtk-pmic-keys module is not blacklisted

so it’s no image-problem, more kernel-related with soldered power-switch which can be fixed by blacklisting the keys-module (cause powerdown on pressed)

Thank you for the fast reply! I will remove the solder and give it another try.

or just blacklist the module (mtk-pmic-keys.ko) :wink:

I now removed the solder and it finally stopped the reboot loop. I could also login. After editing /etc/network/interfaces I could sucessfully connect to my local network. The only problem is that I cannot connect to the internet. Is there a special configuration necessary? Can you help me please?

You have to setup routing at least default-route to your existing router and dns-settings (nameserver) in /etc/resolv.conf. try ping an ip first from r2 (e.g. 8.8.8.8) if that works try dns e.g. www.google.com,the from devices behind r2

1 Like

Thank you very much! That solved the problem. I can finally set it up completely. :slight_smile:

I would like to know how can we use R2 with any linux distro as a Router? And what interfaces are available in case anyone want to access it from other pc other than the device itself? Except ssh or remote connection. Something like an http ui?

I use it as router, debian stretch as os but no http-ui…only ssh. I have webserver/vncserver in lxc running

Oh so only remote and ssh. Your a professional level network engineer. :grin: But not all can handle this level of control. Maybe for someone like me, a ui from the browser would be an easy task. So I guess the only option is to use openwrt or other ready to use router os?

Imho no one has got lucy running on openwrt…i only see openwrt-images with uart/ssh only.

Maybe there is a web-interface for configuration in debian too,but i havn’t searched for one because this will be a high security risk

1 Like

Ah ok. I am still waiting on ray to reply about freebsd work. I have started going through freebsd porting methods. But I cant do anything about the kernel, as I dont have that much knowledge.

Now I am interested in this. I would be looking into Luci to check why is it not working. Will post this in OpenWRT thread. Thanks

That’s not because luci is hard to get working on owrt for R2, it’s probably because people who are capable of crafting openwrt images for R2 feel themselves a bit limited when configuring the board through web ui compared to the freedom you get when working from the commandline. I don’t expect that there would be major problems getting luci up and running in any of R2 owrt images available in the wild, it is probably just a matter of downloading/installing several packages using opkg.

1 Like

I read multiple times that the install-process was broken (opkg). But right a web-gui cannot catch all cases you can configure directly,especially firewall/iptables…thats why i build my own router using r2 instead of using a stock router

1 Like

It is (maybe was - didn’t check it for 18.06.4) for upstream image as upstream image was lacking non-volatile storage support for R2. I.e. it was an “initrafms” type image that is using overlayfs+ramdisk as a “storage”. Ramdisk is volatile thus every reboot all data is lost - configs, installs, e.t.c. With properly configured/installed openwrt (i.e. when your storage is non-volatile) opkg seems to work just fine, at least it works for me and I’m content it is. :slight_smile:

Can you describe this in your forks thread because here it is off-topic?

Hi frank-w,

I don’ t know how to make a subnet to use to make a bridge. I put some pictures about what I’m trying to configure:

(note: on the picture above should be wlan0 instead of wlan)

what is working:

• I connect the board using the TTL cable and picocom
  • I can ping access internet
  • I can connect my other device to the access point (thx to your scripts!)

what is not working:

• I failed to bridge wlan0 and wan,

brctl addbr br0

brctl addif br0 wlan0

return: can’t add wlan0 to bridge br0: Operation not supported

brctl addif br0 wan

ip link set br0 up

• I didn’ t try yet to bridge eth1 and eth0 because of the next point
  • I failed to run the dhcpc server on the bpi-r2 for eth0,

ob for isc-dhcp-server.service failed because the control process exited with error code.

See "systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript isc-dhcp-server, action "start" failed.
● isc-dhcp-server.service - LSB: DHCP server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server; generated)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2019-10-27 15:10:13 UTC; 46ms ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 960 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 27 15:10:11 bpi-r2 dhcpd[972]: bugs on either our web page at www.isc.org or in the README file
Oct 27 15:10:11 bpi-r2 dhcpd[972]: before submitting a bug.  These pages explain the proper
Oct 27 15:10:11 bpi-r2 dhcpd[972]: process and the information we find helpful for debugging.
Oct 27 15:10:11 bpi-r2 dhcpd[972]: 
Oct 27 15:10:11 bpi-r2 dhcpd[972]: exiting.
Oct 27 15:10:13 bpi-r2 isc-dhcp-server[960]: Starting ISC DHCPv4 server: dhcpdcheck syslog for diagnostics. ... failed!
Oct 27 15:10:13 bpi-r2 isc-dhcp-server[960]:  failed!
Oct 27 15:10:13 bpi-r2 systemd[1]: isc-dhcp-server.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 27 15:10:13 bpi-r2 systemd[1]: isc-dhcp-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 27 15:10:13 bpi-r2 systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: DHCP server.

I spent my whole saturday on it… could you help me ?

as i’ve wrote above, do NOT bridge the wifi-device with anything else, and if you using access-point you have to use ap0 and not wlanx

use routing instead

and not configuring the gmacs (eth0/1), only put them up

you mean do that:

root@bpi-r2:~# brctl addif br0 ap0

root@bpi-r2:~# brctl addif br0 wan

root@bpi-r2:~# ip link set br0 up

root@bpi-r2:~# brctl show br0

bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces

br0 8000.020822fe5afc no ap0

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . wan

I tried that too, but all my devices fail to obtaining any ip address

I don’ t know what is gmacs, if you are talking about mac address, I don’ t have touched that

that what I don’t know how to do

no…not bridging anything (only lanX)

gmacs are the interfaces eth0 and eth1 (if kernel has wan + lanX), these are the connections between SOC (mt7623) and Switch (mt7530), they are not connected to outside and so they don’t need any IP-config

for routing you only need to give your interfaces an IP-Address (separate subnet) and enable routing

https://wiki.fw-web.de/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:network:start#routing

only special thing is if you have another router and you want to access clients from it through r2

existing router -> (wan) r2 (lan) -> client

then your existing router does not know subnet you use on r2’s lan-ports, so you need a static route here