[BPI-R2 new image] debian 10 buster image with Kernel 4.19.62

Answer to your questios 1.) does it have an ip in same subnet as ap0? YES

2.) is default-route configured (see “ip route” in a terminal app, or maybe in some gui app, but i don’t know any) YES here is what the “ip route show” echos

root@bpi-r2:~# ip route show

default via 172.16.42.2 dev lan0 onlink

172.16.42.0/24 dev lan0 proto kernel scope link src 172.16.42.118

192.168.10.0/24 dev ap0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.10.1

root@bpi-r2:~#

3.) can you ping ap0-ip, ip of lanX, ip from your main-router, ip 8.8.8.8 from wifi-client?

Using my DSL Router Diagnostics I cannot ping ap0 (192.168.10.1), ip of lanX (yes it can ping this 172.16.42.118)

From the wireless client I can ping ap0 (192.168.10.1), ip of lanX (yes it can ping 172.16.42.118), Yes can ping the IP of my main DSL Router (172.16.42.2) and It can not ping 8.8.8.8.

4.) is dns working? ping www.google.de shows ip-address? It cannot ping www.google.de but does echo "PING www.google.de (64.233.177.94) which I assume means it was able to resolve the dns since its echoing that IP number…

On the BPI-R2 I have he resolv.conf set to my DSL Routers IP Addtess and it goes out to 1.1.1.1 for DNS Querys

Also I DO have a static route set on my DSL Router

Destination = ap0 (192.168.10.0) Gateway = lano on BPI-R2 (172.16.42.118)

i mean default route on wifi-client not the r2…all on the list from wifi-client

ok, that mean your default route does not work, or routing on r2 is not working

have you any iptables setup?

The DSL Router only allows me to setup Static Routes unfortunetly I have no access to setup iptables although I can view iptables

Iptables on r2,just to be sure you don’t block traffic…

iptables -L

Or maybe

traceroute ip-from-mainrouter # from wifi client
traceroute ap0-ip #from main-router

Iptables looks good

root@bpi-r2:~# iptables -L Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT) target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT) target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT) target prot opt source destination
root@bpi-r2:~#

From the wireless client I CANNOT ping past lanX on the R2. Thats my gateway out to everything else yet I cant get past lan0 (172.16.42.118) from my wireless client i can ping lanx but nothing on the other side of it. So im thinking its a setting within the R2

if you can ping lanx-ip, but not the other side, it’s the static-route, because your main-router does not know where your ap0-net is located (and sends the response from your request back to the internet = default-route of your main-router)…something is wrong with your static-route.

if you can ping lan0-address from your wifi-client means that routing works on r2

From clients on the DSL Router side I can ping lanx and ap0 successfully without issue that takes me through my DSL Router (172.16.42.2) and through the R2-ap0 (192.168.10.1)

I can also ping my ap0 wireless client on the R2 from the client on my DSL Router

Mhm,thats strange… wifi-clients not reaching your main-router,but reachable from your main-router-clients?? thats impossible…except default route is wrong on r2,but these looks right…

But please make a new thread…this is not related to the buster-image

On my Desktp PC I can ping my phone which has mobile data turned off and is only connected via ap0 wirelessly however I cannot ping from my phone to my desktop pc

sounds like a kind of firewall…maybe your dsl-router blocks unknown nets (by source-ip,not requested). Thats the only idea i currently have…

Hi frank-w! first thx for your great job, I try to ssh the board but since there is no dhcp running on the board, my laptop never get an ip from the board, so I configured my ethernet port (laptop) to use a static ip address: 192.168.0.13. But even though, I can’ t ssh or even ping the board

I can connect the board using picocom and my TTL cable. Then I tried to connect the board directly to the modem using ethernet ports but non seems to work. When I ping 8.8.8.8 I got destination host unreachable, I can see that the ip address used by the board is 192.168.0.11. Pardon me if I look confuse, but I’ m a developer and don’ t deal with network configuration often.

so what should I do to connect my board to my laptop using ssh and to connect my board to the modem ?

also for me it’s unclear about what is compiled and what is not. My goal is to turn the pi to an access point I want to plug my internet modem to the first ethernet port of the board, then using the wifi to connect my laptop to internet trough the board. Should I have to recompile the kernel ? (things i have almost no experience)

thx

Red led near gpio stays on? Then lan0 is second ethernet-port.

serial works? You see login-prompt? You should see in “ip a” which port is up…you have connected cable directly between lan0 and laptop?

Red led near gpio stays on? yes

Then lan0 is second ethernet-port. ok I was confusing with the first one. I did try yesterday to connect to the first and second one and it didn’ t work. Today I did it again and now it work…

I tried to connect the board to internet. what is the device name of the first ethernet switch (the one alone) ? is it eth1 ? I tried to connect my modem to eth1. When I do dhclient eth1 I got no ip address.

when I connect the modem to lan1@eth0 and do dhclient lan1 I got a public ip address. But when I do ping 8.8.8.8 or apt-get update the board seems to only try to connect the destination trough lan0@eth0. For example, the ping 8.8.8.8 command returns Froms 192.168.0.11 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable

First port is wan. So wan,lan0,lan1,lan2,lan3

For internet access you need a default route defined (send all packets with no known network to the default route). Eth0 and eth1 are the cpu-lanes between soc and switch…they only need to be set to up…no ip config there

frank-w please help write this image in eMMC

• Make sure partition-config is right on emmc
  • flash preloader
  • flash img to mmcblkx
  • change root-var/bootargs/partition to use emmc (replace device 1 to 0,partition to 0:1) and mountpoints in /etc/fstab on emmc

And you can write more ?

I thought you know my wiki…

Steps are same as here for ubuntu: https://www.fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:bpi-r2:ubuntu#installation