BPI-M64 800x480 Display support?

Hello

I hope to get an answer since the support of the Banana Pi is not that good, I see posts that are not being answered and posts that redirect you to non exist solutions.

As for my question: I would like to add 800x480 HDMI Display, exactly what is being used with RPI (strange… for RPI everything is working for Banana Pi, hmmmm NO) I have seen in the instructions that you should modify the script.fex and save it to the bin format,but where is this script.bin location ??? I have looked in the 2018-11-02-debian-9-stretch-mate-desktop-preview-bpi-m64-aarch64-sd-emmc.img image under the bananapi directory and no no script.bin can be found!!!

Why are we getting incomplete images that cause us to waste a lot of time to find things that are not exist??

Can anyone help of getting this display work?

Hello,Please follow these steps:

1. clone this repo:https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-M64-bsp-4.4

2. edit “sunxi-pack/allwinner/tulip-m64/configs/BPI-M64-720P/sys_config.fex”

3. find “fb0_width” and “fb0_height”, change like this:

1. build this code.

2. cd “SD/bpi-m64/100MB”

3. plug your sd card with image installed in your ubuntu PC

4. “bpi-bootsel BPI-M64-720P-linux4.4-8k.img.gz /dev/sd< drive letter>”

5. plug your sd on m64, power on it.

1 Like

Hello

Sorry for the late replay I had to create environment. I did as you described and rebuild the boot image but when connected to the 5" HDMI LCD I still have a white screen. When I install Armbian image I am able to get the screen working with the correct resolution, so it is not a hardware issue.

Update: Connected the RPI to my TV and the TV shows that the actual resolution is 720P so the sys_config.fex didnt change anything…

So what is wrong?

Hi, is there something I do wrong since it keeps to be 720P even after the change FB0 W to 800 and FB0 H to 400

Hello, let me make a 800*480 image for you, and also write the steps in a doc, then you could be easy to check.

Thank you

I was almost succeeded to do everything I need in armbian, the LCD worked the touch panel worked, the only problem that the battery AXP20x / AXP803 was not supported, it did support the buttons and power management but not AC / USB / Battery in the /sys/class/powersupply. so now moving back to here.

I already have the BPI-M64-bsp-4.4 environment ready.

by the way the Bluetooth is not working in this image, is that correct?

Can you make only the u-boot / Kernel + linux headers that I can install with dpkg -i ?

ok, so do you need the image and the steps?

the bt could connect bt mouse, keyboard or bt earphone, some issues to connect smart phone and computer

Yes, I need all the information I can get, image that is working is a big + Currently I am now on Ubuntu mate,

Since in the images of the debian / raspbian there are issue with the wireless, it wont connect to the AP. I am not sure if it is a kernel issue or something else, it just doesnt work…

though I am looking for the most thin image I can find. the ubuntu mate leaves me about 1.5GB free space on the emmc…

Also I need an image that the SPIDEV is enabled…

So which image do you want to use?

how about you a ubuntu mate desktop 16.04 steps?

Yes, I am currently on Ubuntu. So steps in Ubuntu would be good.

Also please update how to add the SPIDEV

Update:

I did again your instructions and when connecting it to a standard screen (the one that I have in the office) I do get 800x480 resolution, but when connecting to the 5" LCD I only get white screen.

could it be related to the refresh rate? How to I set it as well?

this is the LCD; https://www.elecrow.com/wiki/index.php?title=HDMI_Interface_5_Inch_800x480_TFT_Display

Update:

After changing the hdmi_cts_compatibility = 1 (from 0 to 1) the HDMI screen start to work,

[hdmi]
hdmi_used = 1
hdmi_power = "vcc-hdmi-33"
hdmi_hdcp_enable = 0
hdmi_cts_compatibility = 1

The boot logo wasnt centered so I guess it didnt accept the 800x480 resolution… and when continue booting to the kernel the boot logo was replaced with white screen again. What is causing this? why cant 5" 800x480 LCD be configured on the BananaPI image? Why in Armbian it works with this argument under armbianEnv.txt:

extraargs=fbcon=rotate:2 drm_kms_helper.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/800x480.bin video=HDMI-A-1:800x480-24@60

and with BananaPI it doesnt? Can anyone have an answer? anyone that had build this kernel??

Added 3 pictures:

1. BPI_M64 with Kernel 4.4.89 that show the U-boot image - ( the image is shaped to 800x480) and it is not centered even though the resolution is set to 800x480…
  2. the second one is after the U-boot , when the Kernel start loading the screen goes white.
  3. Armbian image with Kernel 4.19.53-sunxi64 that there it works perfectly, the main issue that I have with Armbain that it doesnt detect AC/battery power…

U-bootArmbianafter%20-U-boot Jackzeng??