BPI-M3 new image: ArchLinuxARM-lite-bpi-m3 2016-5-10

With improved heat dissipation you decrease stability with BPi M3 at least when you have a board from the 1st batch that uses Micro USB for DC-IN. Overheating isn’t an issue (throttling works and the default settings ‘Team BPi’ uses are that horrible that you end up with a quad core system or even less active CPU cores) but undervoltage/undercurrent are the real problem.

Giving power for micro usb power in port with a quality adapter/charger system that can give 2.5A / 5V per USB port and using a quality shielded USB 2.0 cable.

In other words: You trust in wordings like ‘quality’ instead of measuring. Have a look where to measure while you’re running something heavy (otherwise you won’t notice the problem called undervoltage/undercurrent), keep in mind that trying to provide more than the allowed 1.8A thrugh Micro USB is simply asking for trouble (or burning your house down – read the last paragraph) and that your kernel panics are most likely power related since Micro USB for DC-IN is always crap :slight_smile:

if you not connect many accessories, micro USB power also work fine .

C’mon: You know what GPU is for (3D acceleration, that’s the PowerVR 544 inside A83T) and you know what we were talking about: HW accelerated video decoding (that’s Allwinner’s own stuff, and what’s missing in your OS image is libvdpau/Cedrus support). You’re constantly trying to fool your users. It’s not about 3D it’s about video. And you know this (or maybe not – maybe you really don’t know what you’re talking about here all the time :confused: ?)

you even not know any about hardware , not all use as you ,just test some performance, are you real to test all our hardware???,

all our labtest and hardware validation test report at here . we not do any test , oh ,just a joke

https://bananapi.gitbooks.io/bpi-m3/content/bpi-m3qualityguarantee.html

Note : all test is with micro USB power :joy:

i see you say orange pi 2E , no ,no , if a hardware even nor add anti-static with USB ,and HDMI ,you just say it is a good product, i just want to say: ha ha .

You*'re really too dumb to realize the problem or the problem is that you NEVER EVER think about how your users deal with your hardware. The problem is called voltage drops and cable resistance. Here is a nice table. Maybe even you might get the idea what’s wrong with Micro USB (limited to 1.8 max anyway which is NOT enough for such a power SoC) now:

But hey, still talking to you is like talking to a wall. I’ve never seen anyone so constantly ignoring all the feedback you get here in your forum. You still think your way of ignoring your user’s needs would be fine and your products superiour… close to unbelievable.

not any user can fool with you or me , Maybe they are smarter than I and you. this is just a forum , you not need to attack at everyone thread, many is your subjective thought, Why don’t you keep friendly??

Note: i am real not like you , but Lion Wang aks me keep friendly and let you free at our forum.

No, we have accept user idea , and change to DC power , i just let you know ,we have do all hardware test. and you can read all our reportbut . but as you say, our product is “shit”. if you like us , please support us , if you not , maybe you can leave, it is so easy.

Ok, you seem really not able to understand the difference between

• you testing BPi M3 sitting in a lab, using a bench PSU with 5.1V connected with an AWG 20 rated short cable to the Micro USB port
  • sooooooo many of your users using any cheap PSU connected with an AWG 26 or 28 rated cable way too long and experience exactly the problems THESE FORUM IS FULL OF: instability, crashes, freezes, reboot loops

So you really don’t get the difference, right? Even if Tido, Igor and me are constantly talking about this stuff since Dec 2015 when you made the silly mistake to replace barrel jack with Micro USB? You still believe there’s nothing wrong with Micro USB? And that your ‘lab report’ is outperforming the experiences so many M3 users have to make.

Why don’t you read through the forums? Why don’t you accept these issues? And when do you stop trying to fool your customers? Anyway: Talking to a wall is more fun.

we listen and change , any good idea we all can accept, we also want to do a good product. you can give any good suggest with friendly. But you use a wrong way. or you have other objective?? Why don’t you say it clear

all hardware can’t be perfect, Can only meet the different needs of users, we have above 50K BPI-M3 user , why you not try to support us . let us make it better .

keep your patience, we maybe do many work slow ,but we will do it better.:slight_smile:

Hi,

I created a guide on how to replace the micro USB DC with the a barrel DC - it’s trivial for people with experience - but it may help the novices. Perhaps it can help the readers of this thread. It’s here:

Regards, DA

1 Like

As mentioned before, personally I am using a high quality usb adapter + shielded micro usb cable and the load was not so heavy in text mode linux plus few docker instances, so I am still not concerned that this is a real power, issue until the new kernel not releazed for BPI. I would like to test Arch Linux with a newer more suitable kernel setup for BPI M3.

Hello, Please forgive me if I sound dumb, but I just can’t get it to work. I used Raspberry Pi for years, so the Banana Pi M3 is new to me. How can I get this Arch image to work? For Raspberry Pi I always use a simple dd command to write the SD card and it just boots. What do I have to do with this image to boot? I tried this tutorial here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Banana_Pi but no luck… there is no u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin file in the end. Is there a simpler way to achieve these official images for Banana Pi M3 to work? I tried the other ones too, but only Kano was able to boot, which I simply dd to sd card and just worked. So I really don’t understand what should I do, I couldn’t find many info in this subject, it seems that it is an easy and straightforward process for everybody. Is there a preconfigured image somewhere, which I can download and burn to sd and just boots on my Banana Pi M3? If there is a simple way, please tell me. Thank You in advance!

Heya, maybe you’ll need this SDCard-burner called PhoenixCard Tool !
I remember I had to use it to burn the android images for BPI-M3 I found here… in that tool you have chose whether to create a direct bootable SD card or to create a SD card that only burns your image to the (faster) emmc storage when it boots.
From then I’d suggest to make dd images of the emmc regularly as backups!

peace

Good day! I download your image, burn it to SD card. Insert card to my bpi-m3, turned it on, but after welcome screen banana turning off. What am i doing wrong?

I have another image: BPI-M3 new image:ArchLinuxARM Lite for BPI-M3 (20151209) - it works fine.

Mine was doing this until I switched to using a 5.1 V 2.5 A power supply directly to the DC in jack, instead of using USB. The one of the Steam Link fits perfect.

@sinovoip Would it be possible to update this image? Thanks

@sinovoip what toolchain did you use when compiling this kernel?

I’ve prepared image for Banana Pi-M3 with Arch Linux sunxi kernel-4.18-rc3 and uboot-2018.01.

Maybe someone will find it usefull.

SMP - Works, Wifi - Works.