BPi-M3 new image: 2018-01-15-ubuntu-16.04-server-v1.0-bpi-m3mst-sd-emmc

M3 ubuntu server

2018-01-15-ubuntu-16.04-server-v1.0-bpi-m3mst-sd-emmc.img.zip

MD5: 7a1baafa12912bd4eb8339627b342049

Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jk3vMPAgjfeZQZFcTBNSZo5kM6zJvgvP/view?usp=sharing

Baidu cloud:

https://pan.baidu.com/s/1dKOrbo password:1h2e

Description. Wheare description? Screenshots?

Excellent image of ubuntu 16.04 server with no frills which I was able to build on. Built an apache website and moved my own forums (phpbb) to the Banana Pi M3. Also installed WordPress and pi-hole on it to boot. Was able to take this release to Ubuntu 17.10 in place without issues. I personally don’t need anything else for my own setup to start with and build on.

There are no pictures, it’s basically a vanilla Ubuntu server; terminal and all that. Without apps for fancy browsing on the internet, etc…, which I sure those in the know would be able to build a complete Ubuntu 17.10 desktop distribution anyway.

Hi Mark

Did you manage to get WiFi working with this build?

It’s a server, I’m not using wireless it’s connected by ethernet.

Thanks for confirming

I’m yet to run any OS build with WiFi working :frowning:

My setup:

• 5 volt 3 amp power via DC jack
  • External SinoVoip WiFi antenna

I’ve had a look and the wlan interface and its components are coming up okay on system startup. WIll try the wireless completely tomorrow night inbound to the server. I’ll use the antenna on the board itself. Will report back tomorrow then…

Checked wireless with ubuntu 17.10 server setup and wireless is working fine connecting to my 2.4Ghz wireless AP.

Hi Mark

Thanks for sharing the update

I’ll try this build to see if I too can make a successful WiFi connection using this image

I’ll report back with outcomes

What is the login and password?

Regards, Søren

Hi Mark How do you login to the server? I have no clue on what login and password to use. Thanks in advance! Søren

1 Like

Hi, is it right that sata is not implemented? no detection of sda. With other images working . Greetings Elluminatus

I had to hack into the box, and I must say I did enjoy it! :slight_smile: Much simpler than what I thought: Username: pi

Password: bananapi

It is in sudoers group, so you can run any command as sudo

I burnt the image using “Win 32 Disk Imager 1.0” into a 16GB PNY SD card, and it boots without any issue.

Some info:

• It takes about one minute to prompt for console login. My 1080p tv says 1280*720p/60Hz
  • DHCP is working on the wired LAN
  • I couldn’t run apt-get upgrade. I had to sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock Then it just upgraded ok
  • Configure wifi using sudo nmtui (first create a connection, then activate it). DHCP working great
  • sshd daemon is working on LAN and wifi

Cheers, thanks, and enjoy it!

Hello everybody. How to burn this image to emmc?

I didn’t write it to eMMC directly: I wrote it to a 8GB SD. Then insert it, power it and while it is running from the SD, clone it to the eMMC:

sudo fdisk -l Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 7.3 GiB, 7818182656 bytes, 15269888 sectors

So I cloned the SD (/dev/mmcblk0) to the eMMC:

sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=10MB status=progress

Wait some minutes until it finishes. Then power it off, remove SD, and power it up! It may fsck, because the system didn’t dismount the fs properly before cloning, but that’s all!

You shouldn’t clone a live system, but it just works!

Edit: maybe I took the longest path… It may be easier following this: How to use bpi-copy command (Burning images to EMMC , Copying data from SD-Card/EMMC to be Images)

Does this image support Docker?

Does anyone know of any image of Banana M3 that supports Docker?

1 Like

Does not support. I checked. The linux kernel version of this image is 3.4.39-BPI-M3-Kernel but docker supports 3.10.0 or newer.

● docker.service - Docker Application Container Engine
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/docker.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2018-03-30 04:00:03 CST; 2min 31s ago
     Docs: http://docs.docker.com
  Process: 1951 ExecStart=/usr/bin/dockerd-current --add-runtime docker-runc=/usr/libexec/docker/docker-runc-current --default-runtime=docker-runc --exec-opt native.cgroupdriver=systemd --userland-proxy-path=/usr/libexec/docker/docker-proxy-current --seccomp-profile=/etc/docker/seccomp.json $OPTIONS $DOCKER_STORAGE_OPTIONS $DOCKER_NETWORK_OPTIONS $ADD_REGISTRY $BLOCK_REGISTRY $INSECURE_REGISTRY $REGISTRIES (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 1951 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 30 04:00:01 bpi-iot-ros-ai systemd[1]: Starting Docker Application Container Engine...
Mar 30 04:00:02 bpi-iot-ros-ai dockerd-current[1951]: time="2018-03-30T04:00:02.298605877+08:00" level=warning msg="could not change group /var/run/docker.sock to docker: group docker not found"
Mar 30 04:00:02 bpi-iot-ros-ai dockerd-current[1951]: time="2018-03-30T04:00:02.306710485+08:00" level=info msg="libcontainerd: new containerd process, pid: 1957"
Mar 30 04:00:03 bpi-iot-ros-ai dockerd-current[1951]: time="2018-03-30T04:00:03.318203884+08:00" level=fatal msg="Your Linux kernel version 3.4.39-BPI-M3-Kernel is not supported for running docker. Please upgrade your kernel to 3.10.0 or newer."
Mar 30 04:00:03 bpi-iot-ros-ai systemd[1]: docker.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 30 04:00:03 bpi-iot-ros-ai systemd[1]: Failed to start Docker Application Container Engine.
Mar 30 04:00:03 bpi-iot-ros-ai systemd[1]: Unit docker.service entered failed state.
Mar 30 04:00:03 bpi-iot-ros-ai systemd[1]: docker.service failed.

But I found a way to prevent this warnings. If you put the variable DOCKER_NOWARN_KERNEL_VERSION=1 (DOCKER_NOWARN_KERNEL_VERSION) at the end of the file /etc/sysconfig/docker (CentOS image), the warning disappeares. But it will lead to the next error, that this kernel does not support overlay (Some kind of network). But it’s probably not necessary for you. Perhaps there is a way to avoid this.

I’m also looking for an opportunity to install a docker to the BPI M3. But now I did not find anything(

1 Like

hello my banana doesn’t sees sata hard drive