Basic firmware for debian

Frank,

I am trying to do the same so if you want to work together I am up for sharing info, scripts, experience, etc

Aaron

I’m still waiting for my r2,so i currently can not try it out. I compiled the kernel/uboot with the scripts on github…maybe we can use that instead of the build-command above. maybe start with jessi image, replacing kernel and rootfs (bootstrap).

we are try to build a debian image now , when we ready ,will update.

@sinovoip: no pressure…in my opinion you help more if you concentrate your work on hardware-support (ap-mode for internal wifi, vlan-support, hardware-nat,…) and troubleshooting. There is an jessi-image we can work with.

thank you for you support , we need you. :slight_smile:

We are all looking for AP mode support! This is a high priority for a WiFi router platform. Where is this on your list?

just as information, i got a bootable debian stretch with debootstrap. More info in my wiki: http://www.fw-web.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en/bpi-r2/debian

For info,hdmi is currently not working due to missing vendor driver. lan0 has IP 192.168.0.10 you can ssh to it with root-account. if you want other ip-settings edit BPI-ROOT/etc/network/interfaces.Debug-uart is working

Maybe this can be adapted to other systems like centos, freebsd or arch

I can confirm that Frank’s image is indeed working like a charm! While testing I already have a paper named “Wishlist” :wink:

2 Likes

snif overhere it’ll boot, network gives ping, but no ssh starting.

anyone else with ssh-problems? maybe having usb2serial-adapter to look whats wrong?

here a /network/interfaces that enables dhcp on lan3 (most right port): interfaces (1,2 KB)

allow-hotplug lan3
iface lan3 inet dhcp

and remove vlan-config of lan3.60…(moved it to wan in my current config, because that is my management-line to raspi where i setup nat)

I managed to activate a work around by adding

post-up /etc/init.d/ssh restart > /var/log/ssh.start 2>&1

to the interface I wanted to use. (log was to see if I can get an error, as rsyslog doesn’t run either, but this method gets a working ssh)

When logging in I get this message:

"System is booting up. See pam_nologin(8)"

Looks like one of the services is hanging the boot sequence. (need to figure out how to get the logging up and running)

Does /var/run/nologin or /run/nologin exists? If yes delete it…

Maybe try to reinstall dbus/dbus-service

journalctl -xb

running “fsck -f” on all partitions

It’s strange anyway…what kind of sdcard (vendor, size) do you have?

Nop, that wasn’t it, systemd was hanging on local fs. Had to comment out the 2 lines below to get it trough the boot process:

/dev/mmcblk1p2         /mnt/emmc/root          ext4    errors=remount-ro      0       1
/dev/mmcblk1p1         /mnt/emmc/boot          vfat    defaults               0       0

What should mmcblk1 be for device?

1 Like

I had swapped that options (root must have remount-ro,…) but that must be right in the image…

Have yout downloaded the debootstrap-file? That i have not fixed yet

mmcblk0p1 is boot on sd vfat defaults 0 0 mmcblk0p2 is root on sd ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

emmc is mmcblk1

You must use mountpoints that exists on your target filesystem (cmdline of kernel/uboot)

btw. Mounting rootfs to other dir but / seems to be a bad idea and can be the problem…but that is not like that in my image

These mounts came from your image, I’ve disabled the 2nd device and all works as expected. I was wandering what the emmc mounts are for, as the device works perfectly without them.

Ok, that are the additional mounts and you had not initialized your emmc,ok,i will fix that.

thank you for debugging

currently uploading with new name bpi-r2_debian_stretch_4.14.13.img.gz

Hi Frank,

it’s not urgent at all, but if you are doing the next image could you include the usbserial module? In the meanwhile i’ll try to do that myself :slight_smile: Anyway - your image still works perfectly and makes me forget the “official” Ubuntu package.

If I compile a kernel myself how can I install my new modules in all the right places? Okayokay … bloody beginner in the Kernel business :smiley:

see PM regarding usb-module :slight_smile:

the official images support hdmi under 4.4 (ok, it can work in my image also if i would use the official kernel). still waiting for vendor-driver for hdmi and 2nd gmac

Hmmm, noticed that a shutdown -P doesn’t power down the R2. Is this with this image only, or a hardware ‘feature’?

this is a feature belonging to missing driver in Kernel: https://github.com/BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-R2-bsp/issues/16 (Kernel 4.4 and 4.14 affected)

1 Like