Banana Pi M3 Ubuntu 16.04

Why not doing it right instead? You get complaints since months that there’s something wrong with the ZIP files you provide. And you simply don’t give a shit (again right now). Then why do you provide such bloated stuff. Simply do it right.

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/debootstrap-ng.sh#L477-L487

Signing the image, then creating either a .7z or a compatible .zip that contains a readme and the GPG signature. Why aren’t you able to learn and to provide just a readme if you messed it already up? If you choose to stay with such a moronic attempt to deliver OS images that are called ‘-’ then why don’t you include a readme.txt in the archive explaining this nonsense and how to recover from that? When do you start to care about your users?!

Also here in post #25 I explain how to reduce the size of a provided OS image where a lot FS activity already happened as it’s true for all of your OS images since they are not created from scratch: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/1331-armbian-sd-card-backup/?view=getlastpost

It’s so unbelievable. You’re constantly whining that you have troubles uploading your OS images so why don’t you remove all the bloat from it, prepare and compress them correctly instead?

view my post !!! it’s not so difficult to write this .img

So you encourage @sinovoip to continue providing wrongly named and bloated OS images instead of telling them that they should fix their shitty bpi-copy tool?

You know that they recently provided a crappy Ubuntu Mate image that was 16 GB in size and the rootfs inside was only 7.3GB? That’s just because they refuse to do it correctly und use broken tools like this ‘bpi-copy’ crap.

If they would care about their users they would analyse /proc/partitions, then only copy the contents up to the size of the last partition, zero out unused space before and then pipe this to

7zr a -bd -t7z -m0=lzma -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on -si /path/to/7zipped.img.7z

Then the provided OS images would be way smaller and less time wasted to upload/download. But as usual ‘Team BPi’ doesn’t care.

I have bought this singleboard, like more person in this web-place, to try an alternative to Raspberry pi3 that I have got. For more person …terminal and kernel …are “words of nothing” and Sinovoip upload a “.img” file like my son play to gtaIV. My personal help is for all person who have the same problem! I don’t know why Sinovoip upload a bullshit image of Os, but whit our Help anyone can try this M3… That’s all…

Hi all,

Thanks tkaiser, sinovoip

After 6 months of having my bpi-m3 board I have finally managed to put a bootable Debian image onto an sd card and, using a usb stick, managed to burn the image to eMMC - I really am pleased. I must agree sinovoip, the people that have posted above are right in what they say - you need to have a “readme” in the OS zip files you provide, or better still, something on your website that clearly states how people can burn OS images to SD and/or eMMC’s. Just look at the Raspberry Pi website and see how they do it - surely that cannot be difficult to do. So many people have enormous problems with your images - the forum is full of posts showing this (myself included) - so put something on your website that clearly shows people how to do it - step-by-step. It really would be a good start (and keep it up to date).

You’ve produced this board and if you want to play on the world stage with single board computers you will need the user community’s input and you need to listen to what they say. I just get the impression that you think - “well, we’ve produced this board so let the user community solve all the software problems”. I doesn’t work that way - it is a 2 way thing, and you need to show the user community that you are addressing these problems from your end (and you don’t do this). It can’t be that hard surely.

I have come from a background of a long term Windows user. SBC’s and Linux is something that I’ve only been doing for the last 8 to 10 months. Both Raspberry Pi and Odroid make it very easy for their user community - things just work straight out of the box. I am far from being totally at home with Linux, especially when using Linux from the terminal - but I’m getting there slowly. Anyway, I have a bootable bpi-m3. I know that, by default, the OS boots in 720p resolution - I would like to run 1080p instead, but it will not allow me to change the setting to get 1080p - have you got any suggestions on how I can change the setting to run 1080p. Also, WiFi doesn’t work - I have created a “new” wifi connection and been able to save the settings (which I know are correct the same settings work with my Linux laptop) but the bpi-m3 keeps informing me that the wifi is disconnected (even though the saved settings are OK and wifi is enabled). It makes no difference whether I try using the onboard wifi arial or the 10cm one that is supplied with the board - it just doesn’t work. I have even tried plugging a wifi dongle into a usb port - doesn’t work. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bye-the-way, Debian (Debian 8 Jessie - Mate GPU(1080p)) seems to run smoothly and very fast and it leaves me with 4.6GB of free space on the eMMC. But, if you want to make this board successful you will have to provide a lot more support (improved website with good documentation to assist users produce workable OS images on either SD cards and/or eMMC’s and you really do need good disk images that are easy to work with and unzip) and you will have to start listening to the user community and implementing community suggestions.

Anyway, looking forward to your reply.

Best regards

Rob

2 Likes