Banana Pi BPI-R64 open source smart router with MTK MT7622 64 bit chip design

Banana Pi BPI-R64 open source router with MTK MT7622 64 bit chip design

Banana%20Pi%20BPI-R64

The Banana Pi R64 is a router based development board, which can run on a variety of open source operating systems including OpenWrt,Linux. It has 4 Gigabit LAN ports, 1 Gigabit WAN, and AC wifi AP function.

Banana%20Pi%20BPI-R64%201

==Key Features==

• MediaTek MT7622,1.35GHZ 64 bit dual-core ARM Cortex-A53
  • 1G DDR3 SDRAM
  • Mini PCIE interface support 4G module
  • built-in 4x4n 802.11n/Bluetooth 5.0 system-on-chip
  • MTK7615 4x4ac wifi (option)
  • support 1 SATA interface
  • MicroSD slot supports up to 256GB expansion
  • 8G eMMC flash (option 16/32/64G)
  • 5 port 10/100/1000 Mb Ethernet port
  • (1) USB 3.0
  • Slow I/O:ADC, Audio Amplifier, GPIO, I2C, I2S, IR, PMIC I/F, PWM, RTC, SPI, UART
  • POE function support

Hardware interface:

BPI-R64%20interface%201

we design PoE function for BPI-R64 ,so easy to add PoE module to support PoE function,PoE modue can support 12V/3A to power BPI-R64

BPI-R64%20POE

BPI-7402 PoE module on BPI-R64:

BPI-R64%20PoE

BPI-7402 PoE module wiki page:http://wiki.banana-pi.org/BPI-7402_IEEE_802.3at_PoE_module

Banana Pi BPI-R64 Metal Jacket:

BPI-R64%20case%201

we will keep update at BPI-R64 wiki page:

http://wiki.banana-pi.org/Banana_Pi_BPI-R64

BPI-R64 MT7622 schematic diagram public

BPI:4.0 design :

easy to buy sample:

https://pt.aliexpress.com/store/group/R64-Board/302756_516275551.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.408a18d6rdUraV

Looks better than on r2,but why non-standard sata-connector and only 1 sata/usb3? Left wifi-connector seems very close to wan-port. Hdmi seems also dropped and still no battery-connector for ups-usage. It would be nice if r2 gets an hw-update with mt7615 wifi and battery. Main-soc recently gets some patches for mainline. Wifi has no mainline-support…only a driver at 4.4-base.

Also you say 1gmac wan and gmac lan,but i guess this is also 1gmac on switch-chip (mt7530?) Because mainline-dsa only supports only 1 cpu-port

Poe is nice,but module on bottom of board maybe causes case-problems…

Mini PCIE interface support 4G module

You have a sim-slot on board…how is this used? Is here the missing usb-connected (see thread of 4g module)?

Yes feature design is good, but but the layout is terrible, no continuity with previous models. Learn it from Raspberry Pi.

Appreciate some additional features on new version. Especially onboard support of 4G slot. However, not sure about the objective of these boards R2/W2/R64. There are plenty of the features not yet working on R2. But we already got R64 & W2 in short period of time. Not sure these hardwares are fully functional or the same story of R2.

What I don’t understand it is why to reduce the RAM to half in the R64 (when compared with the R2) when using 64 bit cores.

In the practice, 64 bit operating systems and software use more RAM that their 32 bit counterparts.

About the SATA I really can’t see a difference. In the R2 we have two ports, but they share the same PCIe line. I am using R2 machines with a software based RAID1 configurations, but I know that this will punish the performance (it is just a data protection feature). When having only one SATA port you must add external RAID facilities that will free the R2 from the extra burden.

Ok,second sata is removed for Performance…maybe same for usb (uses also 1 of 3 pcie)…Or second usb is mapped to pcie…some cards need a usb in minipcie

but you’re right half ram is bad.

And as always it takes years to get running all features (in terms of software) …

mt7622 supports two pcie interfaces, but built-in one sata port is pin shared with 2nd pcie interface.

I can find mt7622 upstream kernel boot log in this web site and mediatek RD submitted many patches to support mt7622 chipset. Hope it can short BPI’s development time. :grinning:

https://kernelci.org/boot/mt7622-rfb1/

I guess BPI-R64 wanted to address ac2600 AP router /IOT gateway segment, so 1GB DRAM is big enough because most comercial products only use 256/512MB. :laughing:

1 Like

Could be possible that SINOVOIP it is trying to differentiate the R64 from the R2 in that way. Because with two SATA, 2GB and 4 cores, the R2 it is more similar to an application machine than a networking one.

In my case, I am developing application systems with integrated security and the extra memory permits me to do that. Limiting that hardware dimension just put the machine out of scope for that type of applications. In fact, to increase the CPU type from 32 to 64 bit but reducing the core count it is not a good enough option on concurrent CPU heavy tasks.

1 Like

how about a mainline (or at least 4.14+ compatible)-driver for mt7615? i only see a driver for 4.4…

Those kernelci log only demonstrate it boots and detect the core CPU. It is far from detecting all feature from the board like USB, SATA or Network, etc…

Check the log from today for mt7622-rfb1:

Look at the BPI-R2, mt7623n-bananapi-bpi-r2:

Sadly it takes years to get the feature working as it should. You can check the README for the BPI-R2 but we are still far off the design specification and the feature SINOVOIP mentioned.

Compare those features items:

1 Like

I do not understand the policy of the companies Mediatek & Sunvoip. The long announced 7623n still does not have full support, but the production of a new chip and a new board is launched. Such fears were expressed on the Russian-language website in the review BPI-R2. The popularity of Broadcom is largely ensured by the full support of OpenWRT. I would like to believe that the announcement of the new board will not stop the work on BPI-R2.

Imho cpu/soc-support is complete…but peripherals used on r2 are not all working in mainline especially combo-chip for wifi/bt.

i think fm/gps is not needed on a router/nas,but wifi/bt should work…currently i’m the only person who works on it. imho some more people got r2-samples but see no work from them.

Imho r2 will sell better if other people read, most thinks work without issues.

Jackzeng try to fix some other problems (e.g. 100/10mbit support and usb-issue).

I just received 2 boards, so I am going to give it a shot together with you with getting a stable kernel and pre-build images. I’m 6 years into Linux, so I hope I can help with building images! :smile:

1 Like

Mediatek is continue enhancing mt7623 upstream support… https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/08/13/linux-4-18-changelog-arm-mips/

Mediatek Pinctrl – Driver fixes for MT7622

Clock – Updated Mediatek Mali clocks

Audio – New drivers for Mediatek MT6351, MT6797 and MT7622

Add USB3 PHY driver for Mediatek XS-PHY

Mediatek MT7623 – Added Highspeed DMA, audio support

New devices – Mediatek MT7623A SoC with on-chip

Ethernet options; Mediatek MT7623N and MT7623A reference boards

have you links to mt7623 related patches (Dma and ethernet-fixes)

which patch in you github that you think we need to add into upstream kernel?